How to Establish Credit

How do I establish credit? You need a steady work record and continued residence at the same address. If you do not have a checking account, open one and be careful not to bounce checks.

You may apply for credit at a local department store or credit union. You might also consider a secured card, which requires you to deposit money as security for the charges you make on the card.

Where can I get a copy of my credit report? You can get a copy of your credit report by contacting

Can you fix my credit report or clean it up? No. If negative comments on your credit report are correct, they can remain in your file for up to seven years—except for bankruptcy, which can remain for up to 10 years.

If you believe there are errors in your credit report, you must notify the credit bureau in writing. The bureau will follow up your request with your creditor. If the creditor agrees with you, your report will be changed.

Share Button
Moving Towards Your Financial Success!
Member Service: (734) 721-5700